We are very quickly reaching the end of 2016, and while it’s a little hard to believe how quickly the year has flown by—but not too hard, because it often doesn’t feel that way until the end, but now here we are—I’m okay with it, because Christmas and New Year’s are my two favorite holidays. I particularly look forward to New Year’s because it’s my anniversary with my boyfriend, but even before it was, I always looked forward to it because the first day of a new year always felt like an opportunity, a fresh, brand-new start. It still does.
I know I already touched on what a year it has been, and some hopes and dreams for the new year, but I want to revisit that, and I hope you won’t mind. Maybe it will inspire you to reflect on your year, too, and to pen some hopes and dreams for 2017—and in turn, maybe you’ll even want to share some of those with me.
My year in review…
- Two successful semesters at UH done, putting me that much closer to graduation
- Took on a double major, a summer internship, and now a part-time job with the company I interned for
- Traveled to Athens, Greece, Vienna, Austria, and Isla Mujeres, Cancún, Mexico, as well as Saudi Arabia for the second time
- Finished one journal and started another
- Adopted a beautiful red heeler mix with Dylan
- Created this blog
- Was accepted into UH’s undergrad Creative Writing program
- Accepted an invitation to be a bridesmaid in my best friend’s upcoming wedding
- Two concerts with Dylan
- Spent time with family and friends
I should really keep better track of the things that happen during the year…
And here’s a thought: there is one special day that happens…well, every day. Not Christmas, not your birthday…
Every day is the first day of the rest of your life.
I don’t know about you, but I think that’s pretty special. So maybe we should treat it as a special day—every day. I will with mine—you do with yours, too.
Hopes, dreams, and resolutions for 2017
- Treat every day as a special day, because every day is special
- More tranquility and self-care because “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” ~ Audre Lorde
- Be more careful about my use of “Yes” and “No”—perhaps also less of “I can’t” and more of “I don’t”
- More productivity, less stress, and more FUN
- MORE WATER, and yoga
- Continue to study French, as well as other things/topics I’m interested in, such as reading Kimberly Wilson’s books and Laura Vanderkam’s 168 Hours
- Save more money, and more TIME because “Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.” ~ Jim Rohn
- Journal and WRITE
- Finish Gilmore Girls and Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix if I don’t finish them before the end of 2016
Now it’s your turn to reflect and dream, and to picture your own 2017. What do you want it to look like?